Friday, September 19, 2014

An Introduction from Niall


     Hi everyone, my name is Niall Masterson. I will begin by giving you all some insight to my past and how life has taken me to Rogers State. So anyone that has met me will know that I sound a little bit strange, this is because I hail from the green fields of Ireland. I was born into a loving family being the youngest of three siblings. I grew up in Ballyboughal which is a small rural village in north Dublin. As you can imagine there is not a whole lot to do in a small village in Ireland but my friends and I always done a good job of keeping ourselves occupied. Spending all our time outside it was usually playing soccer that filled our days. At that time I played for fun, little did I know later in life it would take me to where I am now.

     After high school I had made the decision that I wanted to travel to the US and continue my education as well as play soccer for a university. So I began my pursuit in a small college in Dublin. I took part in a one year soccer course which was designed to get young student athletes across the pond to America. After a successful year I was lucky enough to get in touch with a coach from Coffeyville Community College, Kansas. Within three weeks of talking to the coach I was on a plane heading towards Kansas.
One of my last moments in Ireland before I left.
This was at the Cliffs of Moher, along the west coast of Ireland.

     You could say it was a little bit of a culture shock. The first thing I remember was getting off the plane and getting struck by ninety degree heat. This was a lot different than a comfortably low fifty degree climate. It wasn’t long before I started to adapt and was able to enjoy a new culture. I met a lot of great people in Coffeyville, they helped me enjoy my freshman year. At the end of my freshman year I heard about Rogers State University. Once I done some research on RSU I was highly impressed and wanted to visit the campus. I soon got in touch with Derek Larkin the head soccer coach. I finally got to see the campus and fell in love, it was perfect for me. Needless to say I acted quickly and got my transfer for the following fall semester, I was going to be a proud Hillcat.


     I began my RSU career as a sophomore in the fall of 2012. It has been extremely easy for me to settle in and I have met a lot of great people. I am now a Corporate Communications major and still represent the university on the men’s soccer team. I have made a lot of great memories here and will continue to do so in the remainder of my time here. 
My parents came to visit and watched me play for the Hillcats

1 comment:

  1. I have the pleasure of meeting Niall in some of my classes because I to am a Corporate Communications major and we have had a few classes together. Its amazing to see how someone who comes from a whole different country, lifestyle and background, came to RSU in rural Claremore, Ok and fit right in. Niall has shown great enthusiasm, knowledge and understanding of class lectures and discussions, his willingness to participate in class discussions shows his determination and hunger to learn more and as much as he gives to his course work and studies I can only imagine he does the same for the soccer team and his team mates and let's just face his dreamy Irish accent, piercing blue eyes and killer smile is just the bee's knee's. Don't worry Niall, I'm not a stalker...lol all kidding aside your are truly an asset to RSU, the communications program and the soccer team as well and I for one am ecstatic you chose RSU...especially since I sit right by you....lol see you in class Niall....

    ReplyDelete